Transformation is defined as a thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance. How many times have you tried the diet and exercise routine before? After a few weeks the fizzle and motivation is gone. What success you had to begin with has crept back on plus 5 more pounds. What causes this yo-yo affect? How do you maintain motivation and success? Believe it or not it has little to do with meal planning and exercise, and everything to do with you mental health. There is something to be said about the phrase GET YOUR MIND RIGHT.
My spin instructor and Founder of Triformers (local triathlon training group) Michael Bell would always say before a tough segment in his spin class GET YOUR MIND RIGHT. This would help us visually focus on the task at hand, prepare for said task, imagine yourself completing the task, and literally talk yourself into doing it and do it well. You can apply that to anything. Your mind controls your body. You want to lose 10 pounds, you want to alleviate medications for chronic diseases, or just be consistent about your health? Then, GET YOUR MIND RIGHT!
1. Recognize Your Triggers: What causes you to emotionally eat? What can I substitute my comfort food for? What causes me to stop engaging in physical activity? What activities do I like? How can I engage in the more?
2. Change Your Habits: If you do something repetitively for a period of time it becomes a habit. Try a new habit for 30 days and see if it sticks.
3. Reiterate Your Affirmations: By verbally and visually repeating positive affirmations you are declaring your truth. This truth will be embedded in your subconscious. Eventually, this truth will flow into the conscious mind. One of my favorite affirmations are I am worthy of living life abundantly. I honor my body, myself, and my family by making healthy choices. I am committed to being the BEST me every day because I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me.
4. Create a Positive/Supportive Environment: It is easier to reinforce positive behavior when your environment is aligned with your goals. You may want to avoid places with temptation until you have the discipline and will power to stay focused.
5. Journal: This is a very useful tool to document how you deal with stress, different emotions, and situations. It helps identify what your triggers are, how you handle them, growth, and where there is room for improvement. It also allows you to release things you may be holding on to or holding you back.
6. Meditation and Prayer: Research shows there are health benefits to meditation or prayer: reduced stress, anxiety, mood and sleep according to WebMD. Add your affirmations to this quiet time. Try deep breathing techniques to balance the mind and body. Make this time about you with no distractions.
7. Read: One of the easiest ways to keep your mind focused on your goals is to read. Our GET FIT STAY FIT Book Club read two amazing books recently. Elite Minds by Dr. Stan Beecham and Instinct by TD Jakes. Both convey applicable and relevant concepts that move you forward in your journey.
We hope these tips will help you get started and be successful own your transformation journey.
This content is restricted to site members. If you are an existing user, please log in. New users may register below.